Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Updates

Well it has been a while. Lets roll through the updates:

Soooo I kind of graduated on Saturday. When I say kind of, I mean that I walked for graduation....I wont actually be done until the end of this month. Before I get into that, here are a few of my favorite shots from the day....

Whaaat?! We are graduating?!?!

YAY!!! We ARE graduating!!!!!!!

Too cool for school.
Alright, sooo the scoop on the rest of the story. It all started back in February. One of my classmates turned in her "final" thesis and that is when things started heading south. This classmate had been one of my groupmates - meaning we had collected and reduced data together, but were taking different pieces of it for our own projects. We also had the same doctoral student. Needless to say, with our chapters, we apparently were not being pushed into the correct direction according to our PD. Because this was the first time she had seen our writings for a while, it was not until then, that she had realized it. After this, things started to get crazy. My PD then wanted all of my writings CH1-4 to see if it could be salvaged. Turns out, the statistic I ran was not completely fitting for my type of data. Because no one knew the exact stat to run, I did a little research. Unfortunately, it is not available through SPSS. awesome. So, I then met with a stat guy in our department, and he suggested ordinal regression. Okay, so I ran all of that, and read the chapter, but was still fairly confused. In a meeting with my PD, we started discussing what the results actually meant, and she said that she could not even fully grasp the idea of it. This was about three weeks ago. Since then, my project was determined to be too difficult for a masters thesis, and more suitable for a dissertation. So as you may have guessed - my project has changed. Goodbye old thesis I spent almost two years on, and welcome aboard new thesis. Well then, it was determined that there is no way that I could get it done (it as in all new chapters) in time now, so graduation in august was the only way. So, as I said I kind of graduated on saturday.

So now what I have been doing is working my ass off on this new project. Oh, I also forgot to mention, that now my project is too simple to be a thesis, so now it is a project. Honestly, the only thing that changes is the presentation for passing - thesis=45 min present; project=15 min present. I was disappointed at first. Simply because I looked at it all as a major failure. But after talking to my PD and some Doc students who all did projects (which I didnt know) I felt a little bit better. However, I am still wishing that May 7 would have been my last day and I could be lying on the beach....

...soon though! I have to admit, I went to the beach on Monday for a few hours.... I had to. It was beautiful.

So that has pretty much been my life lately....stressing out about everything, and continually telling people that I have no idea what I am doing with my life next year (which is also getting annoying. more on the job hunt another time.). However, trying to remind myself that it will all work out, because it always seems to. It has been hard to stay positive through these last couple months, but, thankfully I have crazy good friends who always seem to keep me afloat.

Whew. Well we are all caught up now. Once I finish my chapter 5 here shortly, expect more posts soon. Oh, and I promise to be much more positive in the following posts! :)

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment