Friday, March 11, 2011

I Love Music

So about a year ago, the monitor on my desktop broke. This wouldn't sound like an issue because I also now have a laptop. However, while purchasing a laptop I had in mind that I would ALSO have my desktop (plus my funds were not great last fall). So I decided on my little HP mini. It has served me great thus far, but I have been refusing to dl any music onto it because it contains all of my thesis stuff. Although I have a better sense of computers then say....grandma, I still cannot visualize how much said number of gigabytes of memory really means. Worrisome that my music would take up too much space, I have just been starting a list on my phone in memo pad titled, "Music to DL." I have started quite a collection of titles and lyrics from songs I have heard on the radio, or on tv shows, on pandora, or in random places. Luckily, this xmas my parentals were kind enough to provide me a gift card to best buy to finally purchase a new desktop monitor. For the last year I had been planning on trying to find a used monitor, as I thought it would do just fine....however, it always managed to slip my mind when out perusing. Needless to say, without this gift card who knows if I would have ever gotten a monitor. So... "Go Mom and Dad!"

I have previously been relying on others to make me cds and introduce me to songs instead of searching for and finding them myself as I did BBM (Before Broken Monitor). This has been a fun experience too because I have been enjoying music that I normally wouldn't think to download. BUT, now that my n e w monitor has been up and running I have been searching for all of the music I have compiled and downloading it like a crazy person.  Over the last year my phone list has been edited - some of the older songs that I got tired of because of the radio were deleted, or songs that I did not write enough info about to be able to actually remember what song it was, were also deleted. There were some, however, that made it through.

My music taste has changed drastically over the years, but I have always been a fan of a little bit of everything. I am always the worst person to ask "favorite artist" or "favorite kind of music" questions to. I just never have the same answer. My typical answer is that it "depends on my mood." Which really is true. And even then, it changes. Either way, my appreciation of different sounding music and acoustic styles have grown tremendously as of late and I think I would like to explore more into the indie genre a bit. I think I love it cause not only can I sing it (which is always a plus since I love to belt out a good tune), but its the kind of music that I can see myself listening to while driving alone in my car - windows down because the sun shining through has heated the whole car. Mmmmmm. I cannot wait til summer.

Off track I have gotten. Back to the music.

It has always been a huge component of my life. Back in the day on those Saturday Cleaning days (as a child we cleaned the entire house on Saturdays and were not allowed to do anything until it was done) we used to pump the tunes through the house. OR, my sis and I used to come up with dances to songs while we did the dishes in order to get through the process. OR, riding in the car to WI or back to VA...what do you think we did for 24 hours? OR, my dad blasting his "oldies" and beating on the steering wheel and your legs while sitting in the passenger seat. OR, sitting in the car with lacey in the high school parking lot not wanting to go home quite yet, but not really wanting to talk, and playing songs that would speak for us. OR, writing my own music since I was about 13....I don't know exactly when it happened for me, but it has always been there for me. It just makes me feel better no matter the circumstances. It is like that friend you can ALWAYS count on. I just L<3VE it.

That my friends is why I want to share it with you. I decided I am going to have featured artist or song posts on new and old music that I have come across that has made my day, or is stuck in my head. These will be tagged "I Love Music"...pretty original, right?



Either way - Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I too have a "Music to DL" memo on my phone. I also have "Movies to See".

    ReplyDelete